Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

  Hello,

Pierre Pronchery <khorben%defora.org@localhost> writes:

> On 07/15/15 00:06, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:
>>> If anyone thinks that staying with sourceforge is a good idea, please
>>> speak up and provide rationale.
>>
>> I would like to hear the rationale on moving away from SourceForge.
>
> SourceForge broke its trust contract. Considering the most common
> operation from pkgsrc-wip's users is "make install" from a repository
> they are hosting, I do have a very big problem with entrusting the
> security of my entire computing environment, and that of every
> pkgsrc-wip user, to this company ever again.

I understand that it may be news to you, yet I have to remind that
there's no such a thing like a "trust contract" with U.S.-based company.
Cultural pecularities of the U.S.A. in contractual behaviour are
well-known for decades.

I want to remind you also that the company behind SourceForge is a
commercial entity, and the recent story around it is not the first one.
What is going on right now is caused not by their actions only. It looks
like some sort of public hysteria caused by new generation of people who
have realized that the world doesn't work the way _they_ think.

I'm fine with backup plans to move for reasons of continuity of operation,
in fact I welcome such plans, but I dislike joining public hysteria just
because some there's a big crowd fallen to it already. So far the only
sensible reason brought up is noticably long and frequent downtime periods.
If the latter true, I'd like to see some monitoring set up and see the
resultant data rather than relying on human perception.

--
HE CE3OH...