Re: Running NetBSD installer on VM to install on real disk [Was: NetBSD 9.3 UEFI...]

On Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 05:14:58PM +0000, Mr Roooster wrote:
> It does seem to be possible to boot QEMU off the host disk under Linux
> (by pointing it at the block device rather than a partition), but you
> could really set yourself up for problems. (Qemu writing to the wrong
> bit of your disk may end badly. :D )

Thanks for your reply.

An update: The laptop had gone kaput or so it appeared. The Asus engineer
came and upgraded bios. But there is no evidence of this being relevant to
the issue though just mentioning.

I managed to install NetBSD on a partition, but I skipped the config menu
as that's when most of the issues were occurring in previous attempts. I
have tried tinkering with grub boot menu, but haven't quite managed to
boot NetBSD.

So I installed NetBSD on a USB stick. (Even this was failing before as I
reported on this thread, but somehow it worked once.) I did minimal
installation and manual configuration.

I mount /home and /usr/pkg from the partition I installed NetBSD on and
thus I have a working NetBSD.

So in summary, I am now looking for some grub2 or EFI advice to manage to
boot the installation that is on the internal disk, to get rid of the need
for a USB stick.

--
Mayuresh