Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

Le Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 07:55:45AM -0400, Greg Troxel a écrit :

> Christopher Pinnock <chris_pinnock%mac.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > There is a change of file system superblock format between 7 and 8
> > iirc which may need some attention.
>
> Do you mean what Martin just pointed out?   I have definitely done
> upgrades 5->6->7->8->9 (and 9->current about a year ago) with no issues,
> but all my filesystems were created by NetBSD.  I have interleaved the
> following updates:
>   1. update NetBSD versions on some hardware and disk
>   2. update hardware and move the disk from old hardware
>   3. replace disks in same box and do dump/restore
>
> and at one point I probably did 2/3 at the same time.
>
> > (Previously I have managed to build.sh 9.2 on a 6.1 machine.)
>
> I'm not trying to build; I have a netbsd-9 i386 build that I have
> tested.
>
> But interesting that 9.2 build.sh works on 6.1.

I don't know if this related, but I had to mount a NetBSD root
filesystem on a Linux (Debian). The page:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_mount_ffs_partition_under_linux/

stated to use:

mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=44bsd

for NetBSD. But the filesystem was not recognized. I had to use:

mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=ufs2

(the same as for FreeBSD).

The page was "Last edited 3 years and 4 months ago". At least it gives
perhaps a reference point in time to search what has been changed.

FWIW,

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/