Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:15:34 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I am helping someone update an i386 system from 5 to 9, which is on
> the net but without console (remote hands possible but really want
> to avoid that).

You can install netbsd 5 under qemu or vbox and to do a test-drive
upgrade to 9 :).  Make a snapshot before doing the upgrade so that you
can re-start easily if something goes wrong.

GENERIC has compat for everything since 0.9, so the new kernel should
be fine for the old 5 userland.

I think the largest upgrade I did was a sparc from 2007 (whatever
version it was) to current from about two years ago.

-uwe