Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-18 17:41, Andreas Krey wrote:
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 21:31:36 +0000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
And since I'm a curious person as well, it would be interesting to hear
what you use and find so useful in git that you don't have in cvs.

Well, practically everything. Not even mentioning the 'distributed' part.

Personally I normally consider the "distributed" point is actually of dubious value, and possibly a bad thing.

The fact that branches and tags are whole-tree, not per file. (This
is something that some of you don't like, but the restriction that
you can't check out or tag different revisions in a single tree is
the thing that makes git so fast in everyday operation.)

And yes, this I do consider a very bad thing.

And all of the 'unneeded bloat'. You don't need much of it often,
or even at all, but other people do. git bisect is a godsend when
you need to find a regression. Tools to mail and import commits
as patches. Committing or undoing parts of the changes in a file
(git add -p, git checkout -p).

As some reviewer in all kind of places have noted, you soon end up having to know most of it, since there is no real subset that do what you need. From time to time, they will lead you down to explore every little quirk there is...

  Johnny