Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-18 17:18, Andrew Cagney wrote:
The "work around" is to somehow "encourage" all the developers to go
through something like:

- test
- push
- pull
oh, "expletive",
- hack
- push
- pull
oh, "EXPLETIVE"

sure, like that will work ...

More normal would be:

hack
pull
push

Just to clarify, this lack of ACID (why does that sound so wrong) is:
- a brilliant feature
- a crock inherited from CVS and can be worked around by adopting
various "conventions"
However, before responding, can I encourage you take the argument
you've been using when rebutting SVN's "branch" design and try
applying them to your own viewpoint here.

Well, my argument has been that *I* make use of branches and tags in that way which don't fit well with svn. Others obviously feel differently.

And for me, *I* don't have a problem with other changes happening while I am doing mine. But if I were in a situation where that would be the case, I would lock the relevant files and then do the other steps, which would ensure that no other changes happened to those files in the critical window.

(That 'svn log' won't even show my own commit afterwards
(or yours before) is another one of svn's many idiosyncrasies.)

I'm not following again. If I make a commit, I would assume it shows up
afterwards if I check the log for the file. Are you saying it won't?

It shows up.

But (from memory here), SVN wonders off and talks to the server and
discovers there's a bonus commit that's been magically inserted before
your change.

Sure, there might be a whole bunch of commits that was magically
inserted before yours, depending on what you define as the other end of
that timespan. But none of those changes will have touched any of the
files you changed. So the log of the files you changed will not have any
changes.

So again, which commit broke the branch?  With subversion, I can't
answer that question.

Can't necessarily tell with git either. There is no guarantee that any commit actually don't break something.

  Johnny