Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-17 22:29, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

On 2019-04-17 16:49, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Agreed. And after having to deal with git for a couple of years, I must say that I find git to be the most problematic VCS I have ever used.

After using git for my day job, I find that I depend on a lot of features
that are missing in cvs.

And since I'm a curious person as well, it would be interesting to hear what you use and find so useful in git that you don't have in cvs. If you don't mind expanding. And if you don't want to have this on the list, I'm happy with a private mail as well.

The logging/searching is better for me, as is the branching. I never
could figure out the branching in cvs. The only thing I really needed
from git (and the reason I used the git mirror) was git bisect.

Interesting. But that would be more a question, it sounds, about the familiarity of the tools rather that some underlying capability.

I find branching in cvs to be very easy. Logging/searching is something I have not experienced being a problem in cvs either.

The (obvious) things I don't particularly fancy with cvs are file copying and renaming, which is rather lacking. Handling of directories are also a bit broken. And, as always, tracking merging between branches are annoying, to say the least.

That last point is also an issue with Subversion.

  Johnny