Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 14:17:19 +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> This is exactly how Subversion works.

You don't need to explain to me how it works. The problem is
not that it does not behave as advertised but that it works
in a way that is simply very short-sighted, and does not
allow to do things other VCSes make me take for granted.
(Discussions about that should probably go off-list.)

> On the other hand, if you expect "svn commit" to send the entire
> snapshot of your local copy to the repository, this is totally absurd.

No, I expect it to atomically *check* whether the tree is up to date.
Simply so I can actually control what the next revision is going to be -
that it is not going to break tests etc. (I have to say that I did not
even know this particular trap before this thread.)

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>