Re: Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM Andreas Krey <a.krey%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

> I essentially want a way of indication 'Please commit this change,
> taking the revision I now have in my workspace as a basis of that
> commit' because a commit someone else is making in the meantime would
> break my commit - not on a VCS but on a semantic level.
>
> And even *after* the commit your tests continue to work locally,
> until you do 'svn update'.

This is exactly how Subversion works. When you commit from your local
copy, that local copy stays exactly the same, i.e. nothing is pulled
into your local copy from the remote repository. All your tests will
work locally, because nothing has changed in your local copy.

However, if you're committing, for example, fileA.c and fileB.c and
some of these files are out of date, i.e. someone else has recently
made changes to some these files, then your commit will fail. In this
case you will need to do "svn update" on those file (or the entire
subdirectory) and only then new changes will be pulled into your local
copy.

On the other hand, if you expect "svn commit" to send the entire
snapshot of your local copy to the repository, this is totally absurd.
The whole point of VCS is to allow multiple people to make concurrent
changes, as long as they don't conflict. So "svn commit" will only
send those files that have been added and modified in your local copy.