Re: native firefox issues (was Re: Definition of NetBSD users)

On 8 April 2010 08:17, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 8 April 2010 07:31, Aaron J. Grier <agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost> wrote:

>>> I hestitate filing because I can't put my finger down on the problem
>>> any further than "DNS resolution appears to hang after a few minutes."
>>> it may be i386 specific for all I know, or may be particular to my
>>> configuration.  (as usual, it's easier just to bitch about it than do
>>> the research necessary to ask more intelligent questions.)
>>>
>>> reproducing it is straightforward, albeit time-consuming: pkg_comp
>>> build www/firefox, install resulting package (and dependencies),
>>> attempt to use it, and note a lockup apparently in DNS resolution
>>> after a few minutes.
>>
>> I can still reproduce this at will.  any initial startup tabs load fine,
>> but any new tabs or URLs have xulrunner sitting in a loop, eating all
>> CPU, showing "Looking up $SOMEWEBHOST..."  but I never see any DNS
>> packets across the wire.  creating a new profile doesn't help anything,
>> either.
>>
>> this is a slight improvement over earlier versions, as the firefox UI
>> itself is still responsive; I can create new tabs, about: URLs work
>> fine, but anything that requires name resolution fails.
>>
>> sound familiar to anyone?
>
> I had the same at one time when using 'files nis dns' for name
> resolution; I avoided the problem by using a proxy in firefox.
>
> Right now I am still using the same name resolution, but firefox works
> fine - this is on i386 -current (as of a couple of days ago).

Retracting this - I've forgotten that I did some times ago

# ypcat hosts >> /etc/hosts

and then switched to 'files dns' only for resolution.

So yes, I still have the same problem and it has been like this for
probably a couple of years.

--
----