native firefox issues (was Re: Definition of NetBSD users)

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 07:34:54PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:40:05AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:54:41PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > > I haven't had a native compiled firefox work reliably in 3+ years
> > > (they appear to hang up in domain resolution after a few minutes)
> >
> > Is there a PR? How can I reproduce the problem?
>
> I hestitate filing because I can't put my finger down on the problem
> any further than "DNS resolution appears to hang after a few minutes."
> it may be i386 specific for all I know, or may be particular to my
> configuration.  (as usual, it's easier just to bitch about it than do
> the research necessary to ask more intelligent questions.)
>
> reproducing it is straightforward, albeit time-consuming: pkg_comp
> build www/firefox, install resulting package (and dependencies),
> attempt to use it, and note a lockup apparently in DNS resolution
> after a few minutes.

I can still reproduce this at will.  any initial startup tabs load fine,
but any new tabs or URLs have xulrunner sitting in a loop, eating all
CPU, showing "Looking up $SOMEWEBHOST..."  but I never see any DNS
packets across the wire.  creating a new profile doesn't help anything,
either.

this is a slight improvement over earlier versions, as the firefox UI
itself is still responsive; I can create new tabs, about: URLs work
fine, but anything that requires name resolution fails.

sound familiar to anyone?

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost