Re: Inexpensive, low power, "wall wart" computer

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:37:23AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 6:27 AM, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> >Does anyone know what firmware it will have, and what the capabilities
> >will be? This is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for, but
> >I'm not too happy with running Linux on these small devices. I'm
> >hoping it won't be too difficult to get it booting NetBSD.
>
> I've been doing a bit of 'looking' in this area as well, of late...
> This looks promising, if you wait for "RevC":
>
> http://www.beagleboard.org

I know Matt Thomas was looking at this and I think I peeked the last time
he mentioned it, but the show-stopper for me is lack of network; I'd much
rather trade off the graphics for networking and/or storage options.  The
Sheeva plug looks attractive from that POV.  For in-home applications the
'everything wrapped up in a wall wart' form factor is also very attractive.

Now if someone would cross-breed the Beagle with the Sheeva plug, that would
make for an excellent system... GigE, SATA and graphics wrapped up in a wall-
wart package would make for some excellent possibilities :)

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|