Beagleboard (was Re: Inexpensive, low power, "wall wart" computer)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl%beer.org@localhost> wrote:
> Used to be manufacturers had to put their own money into making EVB's and
> BSP's but now all they have to do is the hardware and wait for the frothing
> masses to do BSP's and port an OS or two... Unfortunately, sometimes you get
> what you pay for..

Hardware wise or software wise? Heh...

I've been kinda waiting for a long time to find some box that makes
sense to add a lot of storage to and let it sit on my network with
NFS, Samba, FTP, HTTP, whatever so I can get to the storage however I
like. There are some home NAS machines that seem suited, but you have
to hack together firmware and software and it's not clear that it will
be stable. There's always mini-itx, but they aren't exactly cheap or
low power.

Hopefully the beagleboard is stable. I see it wants to use a Linksys
USB200M ethernet adapter though, which is a POS. I've broken 2 of them
such that the network cable won't stay in, and I'm not hard on
equipment.

Andy