Re: Inexpensive, low power, "wall wart" computer

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Dieter <netbsd%sopwith.solgatos.com@localhost>
wrote:
> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
>
> This looks promising: a $100 ($50 in volume) 5 Watt computer.
> 1.2GHz CPU, 512MB each of RAM and Flash
> Marvell 88F6281 "Kirkwood" SoC
> gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 ports
>
> Looks like the SoC also has a 2nd Ethernet port, 2 SATA parts,
> PCIe and other stuff that isn't brought out for some reason.
> http://linuxdevices.com/files/misc/marvell_88F6000_diagram.gif
>
> Anyone have an idea how much work it would take to get
> BSD running on this thing?  Get the 2nd Ethernet working
> and have a 5 Watt firewall for personal and SOHO use.
> (Obviously you aren't going to run a Fortune-500 company
> through this thing.)  Or use it as a USB device server.
> Bring the SATA ports out and make a small NAS.  And so on.
> Unfortunately I don't see firewire listed. :-(

Does anyone know what firmware it will have, and what the capabilities
will be? This is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for, but
I'm not too happy with running Linux on these small devices. I'm
hoping it won't be too difficult to get it booting NetBSD.

Andy