NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Volunteering for the project

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009, Guillaume Lasmayous wrote:

Subject: Volunteering for the project
From: Guillaume Lasmayous <netbsd-lists%guigui2.net@localhost>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:34:40 +0100

Hi there,

Funny enough, I had in plan to update my -current Netbook running
NetBSD to the the latest full-featured Gnome desktop (incl. Compiz et
al.).

This project comes at the perfect time.

I would be happy to help.

Please note I'm no developer, even if I try to maintain a few packages in pkgsrc. I'm more a tester or maybe doc writer, or
whatever else is needed apart from coding.

@+,
Guillaume.

This is pretty much my position, too. Not much of a coder, but happy to help with testing, docs, etc. (I'm good at finding obscure installation bugs, as another member of this list may attest to ;-)

As I posted somewhere else, this project is quite serendipitous, as I was trying to help someone get NBD up and running last week. As it turned out, I had little difficulty talking him through the installer (the bit that many people are complaining about), but I would definitely regard G. as a "clueful newbie" (he managed to fix the disk geometry problem in the BIOS himself -- so someone _reasonably_ technically clueful) -- maybe this should be the initial "target audience" ? The real challenges started once we'd got NBD through it's first boot (thanks to abs for championing the addition of ee :-)

At the risk of a breach on netiqutte, I'll repost here, in case the scenario is helpful:

DHS scribbled:

It is highly ironic that the day before the announcement came out, I
was trying to remotely talk a competent network/firewall engineer
through a NetBSD install so that he could have cheap but effective
remote network moniting box to gather some diagnostics (NBD was an
obvious choice: ssh for remote access, tcpdump to do the work, etc.)
He manged to fix the BIOS problems himself, but trying to
remote-tutor an ab-initio vi user through editing /etc/rc.conf was,
shall we say, interesting. A netbsd-desktop cd that would have
simplified getting him up nad running with wireshark would have been
an excellent use of NetBSD... and it's attracting people like him
that could draw in valuable expertise/resources that might help
develop the "core " of NetBSD as well. I don't think he's been too
put-off yet...

/DHS