NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: NetBSD Mascot Proposal

Folks,

As I can see I can't help with that. We are unable to agree. I tried to help - my friend was not available so I had to pay for the arts. But as I can see we are going nowhere.
So for me that is enough.

Thanks,

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 at 11:29, Bartek Krawczyk <bbartlomiej.mail%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
W dniu 12.02.2021 o 22:37, A Dog pisze:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 01:12:38AM PST, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> Can we avoid the appearance of a monster, devil or an alien?
>>

> Or an insectoid.  There are people who are capable of finding bugs cute, but
> many others have a visceral repulsion to anything with an exoskeleton.
>
> I'm just trying to compare these proposals to the existing OS mascots that
> are out there:  Puffy (cute li'l pufferfish), Beastie (cute li'l "daemon"),
> Tux (cute[1] li'l penguin), whatever the Minix raccoon is called... do I see
> a pattern here?
>
> And then we have this thing that looks like a robot bug devil.  Beastie may
> look like a devil too, but at least he's a *cute* devil...
>
> [1] Until you notice his resemblance to Homer Simpson.

I second that. I'm no artist myself however initial suggestions by Jay
Patel are more in line with current trends and what people like in general.
In my opinion the logo should be cute, fun, not too serious. Like
Golang's gopher perhaps?

This suggestion: https://app.box.com/s/hp7ie5430jiwz5r3xxmju7voxbjfuj2l
shows a good example for me. NetBSD's colours, he's a runner (reference
to "of course it runs NetBSD". It's too detailed, though - Jay, can it
be simplified a bit? Try some other poses with open eyes?
It's in the right direction imho.

Regards
--
Bartek Krawczyk

--
Atenciosamente,
Alan M C Lacerda

OSCP, DCPT, LPIC-1, LPIC-201, CCNA

Pentester | Consultor de Segurança da Informação

LinkedIn: https://br.linkedin.com/in/alancordeiro

--

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum, "Introduction to Computer Networks"