Re: full-text search

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:32:30AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:24:58AM -0600, David Young wrote:
>  > Dividing responsibility for searching different types or sources of
>  > documents between different programs, as you suggest, will lead to
>  > usability problems and duplicated design & programming effort.
>  >
>  > You should not have to divert your attention from the task at
>  > hand---e.g., find documentation for the is_computer_on() function---to
>  > the type, ownership, or source of relevant documents.
>
> Throwing unrelated documents together for the sake of having only one
> search engine or search database, as you suggest, will lead to
> usability problems and duplicated indexes and runtime work.

Sorry, I neglected to provide even a rudimentary definition of "search
engine."  A search engine reveals the documents in a set of unrelated
documents that are relevant to a user query.  Hopefully that helps to
clear up any misunderstandings.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24