Re: PSD, SMM and USD manuals [was: Re: Shell tutorial added]

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:15:31AM +0300, markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:
> > I'm curious: who else uses these?  Can there be a bit of show of hands?
> Anyone who cares to write comprehensive/printable documentation besides man
> pages? People who want some equations and schematics in their paper without
> wasting 100MB for teTeX/texlive?

This is just about to be not true anymore with kerTeX
(http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html), my BSD core or kernel TeX. All
TeX/METAFONT and al. (latest versions) are already here, and I'm
cleaning dvips(1)---and this is a complete reengineering of the
framework. And this is less than 10Mb to compile, and less than 10Mb to
install (with the fonts).

But this is just FYI, since I'm one that reads "old" documentation and
finds not only historical interest in it. IMHO, "new" markup
documentation has a long way to go to be as "to the point" as the old.

There has been enough havoc, blank eyes, waving hand and scorn these
recent years, to not, once more, throw away MAN and *roff to be replaced
by some XML crap.
                      http://www.kergis.com/