Re: PSD, SMM and USD manuals [was: Re: Shell tutorial added]

> That is, what we want is something that has the original text, and which
> produces nice formatted (and perhaps even corrected/enhanced) readable
> results, but there's no need to attempt to leave the troff formatting
> noise unaltered - anything that's needed to be done to make the docs format
> correctly with groff can be done to them once (or perhaps, once more)
> then retained - we don't need procedures to repeat this over and over,
> it isn't as if these docs are in a state of constant development such
> that we might need to import next month's version a few weeks after
> the current one.

Just as FYI, groff consistently rejects valid *roff and/or produces junk. The
-C flag doesn't seem to help. I don't know if this is a bug in the GNU roff
suite or a perceived feature, but I'm getting progressively frustrated with
it. Heirloom troff doesn't complain at all *and* gets the job done. Apparently
it's closer to the troff used in 4.3BSD, so I'm sticking with it. If groff
compatibility is a must and someone knows the right incantations to please
groff, or wants to edit the offending files accordingly, please speak up. I'll
be grateful for any help. Note that the files available at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/lite2-docs
were produced by (I guess) AT&T ditroff. "Troff User's Manual" in particular
is impossible for groff to handle. So far I'm done with about half the
missing documents. I'll keep you updated.