Re: PSD, SMM and USD manuals [was: Re: Shell tutorial added]

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:38:26 +0700 Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost>
wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:14:35 -0400
>     From:        "Perry E. Metzger" <perry%piermont.com@localhost>
>
>   | but the important part is to have the
>   | sources available for a variety of users and uses.
>
> I think it is worth being clear that we (NetBSD) have no great
> investment in the purity of the original sources, right?   That
> is, what we want is something that has the original text, and which
> produces nice formatted (and perhaps even corrected/enhanced)
> readable results, but there's no need to attempt to leave the troff
> formatting noise unaltered - anything that's needed to be done to
> make the docs format correctly with groff can be done to them once
> (or perhaps, once more) then retained - we don't need procedures to
> repeat this over and over, it isn't as if these docs are in a state
> of constant development such that we might need to import next
> month's version a few weeks after the current one.

All absolutely correct. I was only saying that we don't want to have
only postscript versions, we want sources so that we can make the
postscript versions or HTML versions or whatever else becomes useful
in a few years.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost