Re: PSD, SMM and USD manuals [was: Re: Shell tutorial added]

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:34:40 +0300 markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:
> > We would want sources, not postscript. The point would be to
> > commit the sources to the NetBSD repository.
> Is there a problem to put the files on FTP along with the rest from
> 4.4BSD-Lite2? I think it's better to have them online rather than
> not. The files I see at
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/lite2-docs/
> are PostScript, right?

The documents in the 4.4 Final sources (lite2 was not a full release)
are troff. Postscript is one of many formats people may wish to
generate from the sources, and postscript cannot be edited to fix
bugs.

> > Do you have sources and the change histories on your updates?
> As I said, I don't have them anymore. I'll try to recreate the
> missing parts and document how it's done. Keep in mind that some
> documents are difficult for groff to chew and require additional
> tweaking.

Having just done this for the shell document, I'm aware that it is a
job, but it is an important job.

Just as NetBSD makes compiled versions of the OS available, I see no
reason why we might not also make PDFs of the manuals available, and
in fact I think we would, but the important part is to have the
sources available for a variety of users and uses.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost