Re: Importing OpenLDAP into base

In article <20080604234021.GA21934%mewburn.net@localhost>,
Luke Mewburn  <lukem%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:22:14PM +0200, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>  | Latest versions (from Oracle which now owns it) have a BSD-derived
>  | license with a GPL-like "you must offer to provide the source" clause:
>http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/oslicense.html
>
>That GPL-like license condition is is one of the reasons that NetBSD
>hasn't imported ("upgraded") DB 1.x to DB 4.x in the base system.
>

>  | BTW, since people have talked about size: Depending on how you build you
>  | can shave a bit more from OpenLDAP than I've seen quoted here.  Still
>  | quite a chunk though - I get 2.9M on RedHat i686.  Only the bdb backend.
>  | Remove overlays, static libs, some mostly-superfluous clients, manpages
>  | for removed stuff.  CFLAGS=-Os.  (Most of it can be restored as dynamic
>  | modules from non-base packages.)
>
>As far as I can tell, it's not possible to build the bdb backend
>in OpenLDAP 2.4.9; support was removed a while ago.
>(When I first did a port of OpenLDAP to a NetBSD-like source
>tree, it was OpenLDAP 2.2.x, and that did still support it.)
>
>An alternative I've considered is using the SQL backend with SQLite.

Our new nvi [*] uses a compatibility shim to be able to use db1 instead of db4.
Perhaps we can make this available for openldap? I am not sure if openldap
is using any features of db4 not in db1, so I don't know if this will work.

christos

[*] and again I hate having 2 copies of vi in the tree. Let's switch to the
new one so it can be tested!