Re: Importing OpenLDAP into base

Christos Zoulas wrote:
>Luke Mewburn <lukem%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>> That GPL-like license condition is is one of the reasons that NetBSD
>> hasn't imported ("upgraded") DB 1.x to DB 4.x in the base system.

That makes the SQL backend like Luke mentioned the remaining alternative
as far as current OpenLDAP is concerned.  I don't know back-sql myself.

Howard Chu tells me he's also playing with a new backend using MySQL's
NDB which is their cluster-engine backend for mysqld.  Not itself an SQL
backend - there's no SQL involved in the actual LDAP operations.

>> As far as I can tell, it's not possible to build the bdb backend
>> in OpenLDAP 2.4.9; support was removed a while ago.

A bit confusion here.  The LDBM backend was removed from OpenLDAP 2.4.
It supported several database libraries including Berkeley DB 1.x.
The sturdier BDB backend is now default, and requires Berkeley DB 4.x.

> Our new nvi [*] uses a compatibility shim to be able to use db1
> instead of db4.  Perhaps we can make this available for openldap? I am
> not sure if openldap is using any features of db4 not in db1, so I
> don't know if this will work.

No.  The BDB backend needs many features missing from DB 1.
And it needs them to work right, which means DB 4.2, 4.4 or later.

I missed this one:
matthew sporleder wrote:

> So the nss-ldap would require slapd to be running?

Yes.  One way or another it'll need an LDAP server.  Howard
mentioned an NSS overlay to slapd - that means a module ("nssov")
which can be plugged into the slapd server, if that wasn't clear.

--
Hallvard