Re: Perl5 update

Am 05.06.2014 um 11:48 schrieb Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost>:

>> As Thomas said: I'd like to be surprised by the patch.
> Let's see when I have time to sketch one.
>
>> I'm interested in getting an answer what you're missing in
>> devel/p5-IO-Async/Makefile or similar package?
> I thought I imlicitly answered that multiple times:
> 1. Someone has to manually add all these PERL5_REQD+= lines to the Makefile,
>   which can only be done by inspecting corelist.

This is not true anymore. Packager::Utils will do that for (some)one.

> 2. Someone has to re-do that when modules get added to/removed from Core.

See RE: 1
Also: Packager::Utils doesn't add that line when it knows it's removed
from core (marked as depreciated even in next devel-version).

> (3. You only in comment fileds do write down what you really mean.)

No, Packager::Utils inspects META uploaded to CPAN. Packager

> 4. What do you write if you need a module that has been removed from Core?
>   You can't express a range in PERL5_REQD, do you?

No, in that case always the separate package is referred.

> There's another issue:
> 5. Suppose you have a native Perl 5.40 satisfying all requirements but
> lacking the required Foo::Bar module, which is included in pkgsrc's Perl
> 5.42 (and also available in pkgsrc as devel/p5-Foo-Bar).
> Then, your approach, contrary to the, as I just learned, deprecated
>       DEPENDS+= {perl>=5.42,p5-Foo-Bar>=1.23}:../../devel/p5-Foo-Bar
> practise, will pull in the pkgsrc Perl 5.42, not p5-Foo-Bar.
> Is that what is desired?

Currently pkgsrc comes with one perl only. If we do multiple perls as
we do for python, we (I, patches welcome) have to modify Packager::Utils
to fall back to ›DEPENDS += {perl>=5.10.1,p5-CPAN>=1.9301}:../../devel/p5-CPAN‹

Currently P::U cares only for the version contained in pkgsrc (or better:
packaged version - theoretically any packaging system can be plugged in)
or later in case of deprecation.

I recently talked to the MetaCPAN folks to enhance metacpan to allow updating
packages by knowing the distribution only (refer DESCRIPTION etc. from
primary module of distribution - what is somewhat difficult for eg.
IO-Compress).

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack