Re: Any issue with upgrading lang/tcl to 8.5.12 ?

John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> writes:

> On 8/16/2012 10:07, John Marino wrote:
>
> I understand why these packages sat at 8.4 for so many years.
> They aren't easy to update.  I've put considerable time into
> this. Initially, I ported all the libtool changes and all the OS
> changes including hacks for NetBSD 1.  I got tcl to work but tk
> was troublesome so I just blew it all away.  I also removed the
> need to override each OS's library naming conventional.  That
> seems to work, it installs equally well on NetBSD, DragonFly,
> and OpenSolaris.
>
> For those who want a preview to test ports, here they are:
>
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~marino/misc/tcl85-draft-1.tar.bz2
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~marino/misc/tk85-draft-1.tar.bz2
>
> Rename tcl folder, then extract tcl tarball from /usr/pkgsrc/lang
> Rename tk folder, then extract tk tarball from /usr/pkgsrc/x11
>
> I already know lang/tcl-expect will not build on tcl 8.5, and
> probably requires an update to the latest source (it's pretty
> old).

Yes, and this is hard blocker.

> My vote is to bite the bullet, move to the latest version, and
> fix the problems later.  I can run these through pbulk and see
> what regresses first of course.

Not until you demonstrate at least functional Expect.

I find it counterproductive to "bite the bullet" and kill such
corner-stone software used in testing and automation like Expect
just to import something comletely unknown or simply update.
Anyhow, I welcome your work in this area.

--
HE CE3OH...