Re: Broken binaries again

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 01:16:45PM -0400, Julio Merino wrote:
 > On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger
 > <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
 > > On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 09:54:49AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 > >> Thanks. As far as I can see this variable is widely used in packages.
 > >> However there is one problem with it. It disables both PROVIDES and
 > >> REQUIRES but only REQUIRES should be disabled. Disabling the former may
 > >> break PROVIDES/REQUIRES consistency with other packages.
 > >>
 > >> The following patch solves the problem of temporary directories in
 > >> REQUIRES. I raised it in November.
 > >> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2011/11/19/msg008014.html
 > >>
 > >> Objections?
 > >
 > > Objected.
 >
 > Joerg: this behavior helps no-one.  Please stop it.  If you are going
 > to object, provide a rationale.  And while at it, one that makes sense
 > and is understandable by non-experts.

His rationale is: the problem is that the package is broken because it
contains wrong rpaths. The PROVIDES/REQUIRES issue is a symptom of
this. Patching the symptom masks the real problem.

I have no idea why he can't just say this.

Anyhow, it seems he just committed the openjdk fixes he's been working
on, so the PROVIDES/REQUIRES problem there should have gone away.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost