Re: Broken binaries again

On Tue, 15 May 2012, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

> But I'd like to draw develper's attention to the problems of the repository
> we provide in general, e.g.
> - PROVIDES/REQUIRES consistency
> - A lot of missing CONFLICTS (they are collected by distbb bulk builds)
> - Version of the package going backward (already discussed, collected
> by distbb).
> - REQUIRES that points to buid host temporary directory
> - ...

Will you setup cron and run your scripts on the FTP server and have it
email you results? And then soon later have it email maybe packages@
also.

We probably should have a staging repo. Packages that pass some tests
like these can be automatically copied into official download location.

We should also automate use of pkg_regress / regress and other run-time
tests of selected packages too. I will send another email about regress.

We need to consider that many package users do not have time, resources,
or desire to use pkgsrc to install from source.  We should make a
serious effort to make sure systems work with installing, removing, and
upgrading packages with remote package repos only (and not using pkgsrc
builds).