Re: Broken binaries again

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Bernd Ernesti
<netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:30:45PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>> Fixing the symptoms in our case allows to install those packages using
>> nih and pkgin
>
> Then nih and pkgin needs to be fixed to cope with this issue.

No. NIH and pkgin are absolutely correct.
They follow the documentation.

> Adding a hack to disallow to execute the checks is not good
> and should not be done.

Problems with provides/requires
1) Sometimes they are calculated incorrectly. See emails by Filip
Hajny for example.
   The problem here is in pkgsrc infrustructure.
2) Some packages cannot build their REQUIRES correctly for a number of reasons.
3) Garbage in pkg_summary.

In ideal world all these problems could be fixed at the same time.
In practice 3) caused by 2) existed for at least half an year
and I didn't see any activity in this direction.
This is why I proposed a workaround. I needed openjdk7 and with my "hacks"
it was installable and usable.

We use *dirty hacks* from time time, for example,
using curl downloading https distfiles. Not that I think it is a good, but
until we have a better solution they might make sense.