Re: Broken binaries again

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost>
wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> Will you setup cron and run your scripts on the FTP server and have it
> email you results? And then soon later have it email maybe packages@
> also.

Yes, I'll do. As Joerg said there are a few packages that cannot
generate correct
REQUIRES for a number of reasons.
We need a mechanism in pkgsrc for marking such packages as such.
And then we'll have a chance to have no output from 'pkg_lint_summary -l'
and no annoying periodic emails.

As about missing CONFLICTS (pkg_lint_summary -n) more work is needed for
fixing this problem. See the URL I showed to Joerg.

> We probably should have a staging repo. Packages that pass some tests
> like these can be automatically copied into official download location.

This requires serious organizational changes and efforts.
Probably a number of checks before ln -s 6.0_2012Q2 6.0 would be enough.

> We need to consider that many package users do not have time, resources,
> or desire to use pkgsrc to install from source.  We should make a
> serious effort to make sure systems work with installing, removing, and
> upgrading packages with remote package repos only (and not using pkgsrc
> builds).

I completely agree with this goal.