pkg_regress usage and errors

1. Running "make" in pkgsrc/regress results in numerous ERRORs.

I see the pkgsrc guide mentions pkg_regress.

We should have a README in pkgsrc/regress/README that explains it also.
Is it okay to have errors when running make? Can someone please explain
this in a README (even if it just points to the pkgsrc guide)?

Should we have a make all target in pkgsrc/regress that has
understandable or informational output?

2. Running pkg_regress results in:

sunflower:regress$ /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_regress
ERROR: Expected "USE_TOOLS\+=perl" in the output, but it is not there.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
===> Cleaning for compiler-1.1
ERROR: Expected "^Cplain.*:.*Cplain" in the output, but it is not there.
===> Cleaning for compiler-1.1
ERROR: Expected "Required package bison" in the output, but it is not
there.
ERROR: Expected "Circular dependency detected" in the output, but it is
not there.
ERROR: Didn't expect "bison-must-be-deinstalled" in the output, but
found it.
ERROR: Expected "^The variable MAKE_ENV remains unchanged\.$" in the
output, but it is not there.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
ERROR: Expected "^@comment Matched test file.$" in the output, but it is
not there.
ERROR: Expected "^print-plist/foo$" in the output, but it is not there.
ERROR: Expected "^@comment Matched test directory.$" in the output, but
it is not there.
ERROR: Expected "^@dirrm print-plist$" in the output, but it is not
there.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
ERROR: Expected exit code 0, but got 1.
Tests failed:  barrier bootstrap-install-sh buildlink-libtool
buildlink-transform buildlink-unwrap compiler ignore-tools
make-env-phases make-quoting pkg-options print-plist tools

Statistics:
  1 passed, 12 failed

Is the above what others are seeing?

pkg_regress needs a manual page.

Is any NetBSD system automated to run the pkg_regress tests?  If not,
can we do this?

What other regression tests should we add?

I'd like to prove that a selection of packages work to install, run, and
deinstall.  It would also be nice to simulate some upgrade type
scenario.