Re: IPv6 Stable Private Addresses RFC 7217

On Jun 5, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
>    upgraders stay as they are until get upgrade their dhcpcd.conf

It's possibly worth noting that the context where this matters is that you have
a device that's moving around.   It really doesn't make as much difference for
a static device.   So your pmax that you have sitting in the garage at home
doesn't need stable private addresses as much as your laptop does.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to make dhcpcd notice the difference.

What I do about this in practice at home is to use MDNS.   This is no more or
less safe than relying on the SLAAC address not to change, since the threat
model is the same: an attacker on the wire.   So when I want to hack on my
server, I just type "ssh server.local".   Ultimately I think this is a better
practice when you are using IPv6 anyway, because the addresses are so unwieldy.