IPv6 Stable Private Addresses RFC 7217

Hi List

The next dhcpcd release will have support for IPv6 Stable Private Addresses, RFC 7217.

In summary, this is designed as a replacement interface identifier for the normal hardware derived one when using SLAAC. By storing a persistent secret key and combing this with stable network information such as prefix, ssid (if available), hardware address and a dad_counter we can then take an interface identifier from a hash of the above information combined.

The most basic goal is that the host is no longer track-able across different networks based on their global address, but the address remains stable on each network.

My question is this: should this be enabled by default as privacy is a good thing, or should the normal hardware based address be kept?