Re: IPv6 Stable Private Addresses RFC 7217

On 05/06/2014 15:47, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 08:59:25AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
The question of which address shoud be used for outgoing connections is
really the question that we are discussing.

Is it? Not for me at least. I am perfectly fine with using a temporary
address (i.e., PE) for the outgoing connections unless requested
differently by a program (think Postfix). I do care about loosing
connectivity to a machine just because I have updated it.

This is easily handled in a few ways - some ideas:

 *  Documentation for upgraders

* dhcpcd binary defaults to hardware based iid but dhcpcd.conf defaults to stable private iid
    new installations get private addresses
    upgraders stay as they are until get upgrade their dhcpcd.conf