Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

On 15.06.2020 15:21, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Anyway. Who here does not modify their path at login anyway.

The path has to be readily available for pkgsrc users with unprepared
environment.

However if we install the utility into /usr/sys (similar to /usr/games),
we can use a full path to the program and it will be good enough (for
me). Are there other programs that would be moved to this directory?

I have got a feeling that too many programs already rely on specific
kernel internals so making a distinction would only confuse people and
impose unclear conditions what belongs where. fsdb(8) or crash(8) are
definitely not going to be very usable with mixed kernel and userland
versions.

Something we possibly agree upon is that makesyscalls(1) would not be a
tool for administer a computer/server, so /usr/sbin /sbin is not a good
place.