Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

On 2020-06-15 00:07, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
On 2020-06-14 23:21, Paul Goyette wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, David Holland wrote:

<snip>

This raises two points that need to be bikeshedded:

(1) What's the new tool called, and where does it live in the tree?
"usr.bin/makesyscalls" is fine with me but ymmv.

"usr.bin/makesyscalls" sounds good to me.

Uh? usr.bin is where stuff for /usr/bin is located, right? Anything
there should be pretty normal tools that any user might be interested
in. Don't seem to me as makesyscalls would be a tool like that?

Possibly some sbin thing, but in all honestly, wouldn't this make more
sense to have somewhere under sys? Don't we have some other tools and
bits which are specific for kernel and library building?

/usr/bin is appropriate and there are already similar tools (like
ioctlprint(1)). It's already in PATH and definitely in interest of some
end-users (like me) and I do want to have it.

It could certainly be questioned if ioctlprint should be in /usr/bin as well.

If we think tools like ping, which arguably a lot of people have heard about, and actually use, are in /sbin, what makes ioctlprint such a more commonly looked for, and used tool? I would say this is really a tool for pretty advanced users. But even so, I could more easily see ioctlprint in /usr/bin than I could makesyscalls. Anyone writing code that sits in the kernel is definitely in the area of users who have privileges and abilities that don't apply to normal users.

And the question was not about having it or not, but where it should be located.

Looking at hier(7), we have:

     /sbin/     System programs and administration utilities used in both
                single-user and multi-user environments.

    /usr/sbin/     System daemons and system utilities (normally
                          executed by the super-user).

and

     /bin/      Utilities used in both single and multi-user environments.

     /usr/bin/      Common utilities, programming tools, and
                          applications.

How "common" would you say makesyscalls is (or ioctlprint for that matter)?

I don't mind the name, but I also agree that this is mostly something for build.sh, which I am wondering if it wouldn't more appropriately fit in somewhere under sys?
Definitely not something I would expect a normal user to ever make use of.

But that's just me. I'll leave the deciding to you guys...

  Johnny