Re: Dead ports [Re: config(5) break down]

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

Have a look at
http://www.rmicorp.com/assets/docs/2070SG_XLR_XLS_Product_Selection_Guide_2008-12-16.pdf
specifically at the bottom few rows on the "XLS" chart.  You're looking at
parts that have 3 or 4 Gig-E interfaces, tons of useful hardware offload,
and are, by published reports, way down in the sub-$50 range.  You can
get very similar stuff from Cavium.

If someone wants to start making cheap boards out of those... this developer,
at least, would be interested.  But the existing eval boards are anything
but cheap.

Yep, those chips would make nice boards. But the existing eval board is US$5K, although you might be able to get them to cut that in half. Even at $2,500 it's more than I'd want to start with... :)

Add me to the "would be interested" list!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |