Re: Dead ports [Re: config(5) break down]

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:23:35PM +0000, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> Last time I bought a cavium board it was >$5k USD... An Octeon 3850
> was $700 for 1521 piece part... I didn't think they had anything
> reasonable down below $500?  (and as far as I remember, they already
> had FreeBSD running on the Octeons).  Admittedly it's been a few
> years.

Cavium and Raza (Now "NetLogic") both have low-core-count parts in
the way sub-$100 price range.  Same basic architecture as the big
parts (these aren't their cut-down 32-bit parts), just less cores and
less goodies.

Even the very bottom of the line parts typically still have multiple
GigE interfaces on them and various other highly useful stuff.

Thor Lancelot Simon
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all
   at once."    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau, On The Social Contract