Re: config(5) break down

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:18:10PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Please do not even think about using downloads as a measure of which
> ports are used and how much they are used!
>
> That's a completely invalid measurement of how NetBSD might be used.

No kidding.  We'll ship thousands of units of products with NetBSD
firmware on them in the next year.  I doubt we download more than one
or two copies of NetBSD a month, for miscellaneous use on developers'
machines -- if that.

I don't care what's done in NetBSD to make fancy all-singing, all-dancing
desktop installations nicer *SO LONG AS IT DOESN'T GET IN MY WAY*.

Bloating up the base system's libraries so I have to do more customization
gets in my way.  Making kernel configurations like I use a pain in the butt
to keep working gets in my way.  Lots of other things people want to do in
NetBSD to support desktop use don't, and some are even positive for me.

Please consider that many different user populations do many different
things with NetBSD when proposing major changes, and I can't see how
we cannot manage to sustain those many different populations in the
future.  But bogus justifications involving who downloads what built
binary releases from the FTP server are not really helpful to anyone.

Thor