Re: Dead ports [Re: config(5) break down]

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:09:30PM +0000, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
> Andrew Doran <ad%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> > > I *do* think it's a useful datapoint to note that sun2, pmax, algor, etc.
> > > are never, ever downloaded any more.
> >
> > Right, and these dead ports must be euthanized.  The mountain of
> > unused device drivers and core kernel code is a signficant hinderance to
> > people working in the kernel.
>
> Fully agree (as one having this pain too).
>
> For those single developers who still have such machines, as a "hardware
> replacement" and moral compensation, TNF could buy some new ARM or MIPS
> board for hacking.  Would be a win-win case, would not?

Regardless of what we do or do not do with sun2 et cetera, TNF could buy
some ARM and MIPS boards for developers.  ARM and MIPS boards, however,
are not so precious as a sun2.  In fact, they're abundant, and cheap.
Nevertheless, there does not seem to be much interest in porting to
them.  Why is that?

Dave