Re: config(5) break down

At Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:22:42 +0000, Andrew Doran <ad%NetBSD.org@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: config(5) break down

> Correctamundo.  95% of downloads in the week following the release of 5.0
> were for x86.  It doesn't say much about embedded but does tell us that
> a very large segment of the user population does commodity hardware.
>
> (What the figures also revealed was that a number of the ports had as close
> to zero downloads as matters.  Which is, to be frank, a red flag for
> those that are not maintained.)

Please do not even think about using downloads as a measure of which
ports are used and how much they are used!

That's a completely invalid measurement of how NetBSD might be used.

Many of us just download the source.  We don't tell you which parts of
it that we use or don't use.

Even port-* mailing list subscriptions aren't a truly valid hint of
which ports are used or how much they are used.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/