Re: General direction of current sysinst [was: Re: Sysinst support for installing source sets]

Am 07.03.2012 um 13:42 schrieb Julian Djamil Fagir:

> Hi,
>
>> I looked at Jeffs' diff and tested it on amd64: it worked for me and
>> I liked the problem it solves by batching all the weary questions into
>> one menu. Marc's (one of my sponsors) changes to sysinst address
>> something slightly different but could usurp the former if everyone
>> is ok with having Lua as the scripting language. I think, though,
>> that Jeff's changes are "lean and mean" and adding Lua is not going
>> to happen everywhere soon. For that reason I would welcome Jeff's
>> changes and leave the exciting Lua enhancements as optional (for now).
> I wonder about the general direction of sysinst. I have some time and would
> like to help with some stuff, but I'm not really sure about the current goals.
>
> On the one hand, there's a 6.0 release soon, on the other hand, there's a
> (eventually) complete rebuild of sysinst.
> The former one is imho the important case (I'd see the rework rather as a
> complete restructuring). There are several open bug reports about sysinst
> which are sometimes easy, sometimes impossible to fix before release
> (assuming release is at some point in April).
>
> What should and what can be done before 6.0 release? There were several
> patches in the last days, what should be done besides them?
> Will deeper modifications have enough time for testing?

As far as my work is concernced, I can only repeat what I stated earlier:  I am
integrating Lua into sysinst and provide a Lua scripted installer that behaves
exactly as the current installer, but is easier to change/adapt/extend.

Whether that should be in NetBSD 6 or not is not my decision, but imo it would
be suboptimal to do a lot of fixes now in the C part when everyone is aware
that more general work on sysinst is going on.

Are there any critical, i.e. showstopper bugs in current sysinst that have to
be fixed for NetBSD 6?