Re: Sun Blade 100 vs Ultra 60

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 02:57:32PM -0500, Miles Nordin wrote:

> And Rafal Boni is saying further that the controller doesn't work well
> at all (``pages and pages of 'wd1d: DMA error writing fsbn X of Y-Z
> (wd1 bn Q; cn R tn T sn U), retrying' and accompanying 'wd1: soft
> error (corrected)' '').

Correction -- it actually works, it's just a little frightening to watch ;)
My home file server is currently a v100 with 2 110GB drives in a RAIDframe
mirror set; the log is littered with those messages, but I've yet to see
any disk-related failures.

Moreover, I'm not sure if the above is a disk controller/driver issue or
something much more generic to interrupt handling on that hardware.  For
example, I also see pages and pages of 'ohci0: N scheduling overruns'
errors when the machine reboots uncleanly and is rebuilding raid parity.

All those quirks aside, the machine has been rock solid... the 'unclean'
reboots I had recently turned out to be the death throes of the UPS which
would occasionally cut power to the outlets without any known reason.  And
I love the LOM... even for a home system it's oh so nice :)

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|