Port-sparc64 archive

Re: Sun Blade 100 vs Ultra 60

On Feb 11, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
The Ultra 60 looks like a better system and should easily be able to hold
4 drives, although it would be more exspensive to colo.

Neither are suitable for colo, you should look at either Netra X1 (IDE) or
T1 (SCSI) for bog-standard 1u servers.  These are dirt-cheap on ebay
nowadays, and include LOM whereas the Blade 100/U60 don't (somewhat handy
for colo :-)

FYI, I ran technical operations for a large colo facility in the Washington DC area for several years, up until a year ago. There were quite a few Ultra60s in there.

Possibly, I _think_ the X1 (and therefore the Blade 100, they use the same IDE chipset) has a 48bit LBA limit, so I opted to put 120G drives in my X1
which work fine.

This is correct, 120GB is the maximum for those machines. Same for the V100...very frustrating.

Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL