Re: Sun Blade 100 vs Ultra 60

On Feb 11, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
The Ultra 60 looks like a better system and should easily be able to hold
4 drives, although it would be more exspensive to colo.

Neither are suitable for colo, you should look at either Netra X1 (IDE) or
T1 (SCSI) for bog-standard 1u servers.  These are dirt-cheap on ebay
nowadays, and include LOM whereas the Blade 100/U60 don't (somewhat handy
for colo :-)

FYI, I ran technical operations for a large colo facility in the Washington DC area for several years, up until a year ago. There were quite a few Ultra60s in there.

Possibly, I _think_ the X1 (and therefore the Blade 100, they use the same IDE chipset) has a 48bit LBA limit, so I opted to put 120G drives in my X1
which work fine.

This is correct, 120GB is the maximum for those machines. Same for the V100...very frustrating.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL