Re: Sun Blade 100 vs Ultra 60

* On 2008-02-10 at 20:55 GMT, Al - image hosting services wrote:

> Looking at the Sun Blade 100, it is a small pci based machine.
>
> [..]
>
> The Ultra 60 looks like a better system and should easily be able to hold
> 4 drives, although it would be more exspensive to colo.

Neither are suitable for colo, you should look at either Netra X1 (IDE) or
T1 (SCSI) for bog-standard 1u servers.  These are dirt-cheap on ebay
nowadays, and include LOM whereas the Blade 100/U60 don't (somewhat handy
for colo :-)

Upwards in spec from the X1 is v100, from T1 is v120, then if you want to
spend a bit more you can go for a v210 or similar.  All are 1U and perfect
for colo, plus run NetBSD fine (although -current has some important
fixes).

> Also, is there a firmware limit on the size of a drive that could be put
> in it?

Possibly, I _think_ the X1 (and therefore the Blade 100, they use the same
IDE chipset) has a 48bit LBA limit, so I opted to put 120G drives in my X1
which work fine.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/