Re: sun4m cgfourteen sx wscons issues

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:27:06 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> I uploaded a new kernel with a possible fix:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/sparc/netbsd.poteen.gz
>
> Background: SX instructions that reference memory are written to a
> special address space with the same offset as the physical address they
> reference, so one 32bit write transports effectively two 32bit values.
> According to the manual the lower 3 bit of the address are ignored and
> have to be added as an offset to the instruction itself.
> On mine ( a rev. 25 ) that's exactly what happens, yours seems to
> ignore instructions written to addresses that aren't 64bit aligned,
> which would explain why every other column of characters is missing -
> the font is 12 pixels wide. I bet you'd see either all or no characters
> missing with an 8 bit wide font.
> The new kernel just explicitly zeroes those bits.

My attempts to set a different font failed:
# wsfontload -N test -e ibm -w 8 -h 8 -v /usr/share/wscons/fonts/vt220l.808
# wsconsctl -dw font=test
wsconsctl: WSDISPLAYIO_SFONT: Invalid argument

However, the kernel you uploaded produces a correctly working wscons screen. X
isn't working correctly yet, so i guess the xf86-video-suncg14 driver needs
similar changes.

Is the manual you are refering to available to the public?

- Victor