Re: boot(8) man page (was: Synology PPCBoot SK98 network bug fix)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:49:38 +0100
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> I have copied a lot of the text from README.altboot, and the layout
> from other boot(8) manual pages, and have come up with:
>
>   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jdc/man8.sandpoint/Makefile
>   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jdc/man8.sandpoint/boot.8

Thanks a lot! That's all we needed. Just a few comments:

- Do not forget Toru Nishimura in the copyright note. He wrote altboot
  and the readme which you translated into this man page. I only did a
  few additions later. You can also replace my name with his.

- In "From the U-Boot bootargs environment variable", 'bootargs' should
  be emphasized (underlined?), because it is an U-Boot variable.

- The names of the boot arguments and flags should be in bold?
  E.g. the first "ask" in:
  ask    ask for boot device

- Maybe in "Additionally, the special argument altboot is recognized", the
  'altboot' should not be in bold, like the others, because it is an argument.
  Should be underlined?

- Both american english and british english are used here (recognized,
  recognised). Maybe we should use just one style. Is it defined somewhere
  which language to use in man pages?

- Feel free to rewrite everything which sounds strange to you. You are a
  native speaker. Toru Nishimura and me are not. :)

> I did leave out the supported models list - I think that the list is
> better on the web pages, rather then the manual page,

Agreed.

--
Frank Wille