Re: Keeping up to date with -current with a cross-compiler

Hello,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:20:58 +0100
Hauke Fath <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> wrote:

> >You're a lucky man ;)
>
> WRT the Atto, probably. The disks, not really; I saw the above Seagate
> model go for 4 EUR on German ebay a few hours ago. SCA2, though, so you'd
> have to throw in an adapter to 68 pin SCSI, and a properly terminated cable.

Hmm, last time I checked decent sized SCA disks were still quite a bit more
than that on ebuy US.

> OTOH, for ide equipped powermacs, you could get an ide-to-cf adapter and a
> cf memory card, run the kernel from that, and everything else from a SATA
> card. Less noise and power dissipation, and the cf card will last forever
> since it is only written to for kernel updates.

Been there, done that - my Pismo runs entirely off a CF card. With -o noatime,
1GB RAM and /tmp on tmpfs there shouldn't be a lot of writes.

have fun
Michael