Re: Keeping up to date with -current with a cross-compiler

On Dec 13, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 8:55 Uhr -0500 13.12.2011, Michael wrote:
>>> Hm, I just checked - I paid 19 EUR for the two-channel ATTO ultra-scsi
>>> controller in my B/W G3 (it came with the Apple crippled Adaptec 2930, but
>>> that was really flaky), and 8.50 EUR for a surprisingly quiet Seagate
>>> Cheetah 10.7 73GB disk, both plus shipping.
>>
>> You're a lucky man ;)
>
> WRT the Atto, probably. The disks, not really; I saw the above Seagate
> model go for 4 EUR on German ebay a few hours ago. SCA2, though, so you'd
> have to throw in an adapter to 68 pin SCSI, and a properly terminated cable.
>
> OTOH, for ide equipped powermacs, you could get an ide-to-cf adapter and a
> cf memory card, run the kernel from that, and everything else from a SATA
> card. Less noise and power dissipation, and the cf card will last forever
> since it is only written to for kernel updates.

There was actually a discussion about this sort of thing on the cctalk mailing
list a few weeks ago, but for SCSI.  This is a helpful device for a reasonable
price:
http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_73&products_id=180

Not sure how it deals with LUNs, which could be a dealbreaker (is for a lot of
PDP-11/VAX stuff), but it's pretty sweet otherwise.

- Dave