Re: Keeping up to date with -current with a cross-compiler

At 8:55 Uhr -0500 13.12.2011, Michael wrote:
>> Hm, I just checked - I paid 19 EUR for the two-channel ATTO ultra-scsi
>> controller in my B/W G3 (it came with the Apple crippled Adaptec 2930, but
>> that was really flaky), and 8.50 EUR for a surprisingly quiet Seagate
>> Cheetah 10.7 73GB disk, both plus shipping.
>
>You're a lucky man ;)

WRT the Atto, probably. The disks, not really; I saw the above Seagate
model go for 4 EUR on German ebay a few hours ago. SCA2, though, so you'd
have to throw in an adapter to 68 pin SCSI, and a properly terminated cable.

OTOH, for ide equipped powermacs, you could get an ide-to-cf adapter and a
cf memory card, run the kernel from that, and everything else from a SATA
card. Less noise and power dissipation, and the cf card will last forever
since it is only written to for kernel updates.

        hauke