Keeping up to date with -current with a cross-compiler

I definitely did this successfully a few months ago, but the knowledge seems to
have leaked out of my brain since then.  I'm crosscompiling -current on OS X
(because I can actually do the CVS update and build the entire distribution in
less time than the 9500 takes to do the CVS update).

What's the optimum way of transferring the userland over?  NFS?  Tar it up and
extract?  I'd rather not use sysinst (this box runs headless most of the time
and it's a hassle doing anything other than ssh, but it can be done if need be).

- Dave